As if there was any doubt in any of our minds, STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS has become the highest grossing film of ALL TIME in the domestic market. I may or may not have contributed by seeing it twice, and Styles may or may not have contributed by seeing it THREE times. The only other movie I ever saw in the theater more than once was the one about that giant unsinkable ship, and I was a young romantic back then. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t going to take Kyle to see it tomorrow, so that will be three times that I’ve seen this movie in the theater. If you haven’t done your part, go see it now or never talk to me again – your choice. I recommend you choose the former. Here’s the final word on this major movie breakthrough:
This afternoon, with early box office results in, STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS became the highest grossing film of all time in the domestic market, surpassing the $760.5M lifetime gross of Avatar in a record-shattering 20 days of release. In addition, the film crossed the $800M mark at the international box office today.
Through Jan. 5, the film had grossed $758.2M domestically and $799.1M for a global total of $1,557.3M since its Dec. 16 global debut.
STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS debuted in the US and Canada on Dec. 18, its first two weeks pushing the domestic annual industry box office to an all-time high of $11B. It has set numerous individual records including:
· Fastest film to reach $100M (21 hours), $200M (3 days), $300M (5 days), $400M (8 days), $500M (10 days), $600M (12 days), and $700M (16 days)
· Biggest all-time debut and biggest December debut ($247.966M), propelling the industry to the biggest overall moviegoing weekend of all time ($313.3M for all films, Dec. 18-20)
· Biggest second weekend of all time ($149.2M), propelling the industry to the biggest overall Christmas weekend of all time ($296.4M for all films, Dec. 25-27)
· Biggest third weekend of all time ($90.2M)
· Biggest Thursday preview gross ($57M)
· Biggest Friday, opening, and single day ($119.1M)
· Biggest Sunday ($60.55M), Monday ($40.1M), and Tuesday ($37.3M)
· Biggest Christmas Day ($49.3M) and New Year’s Day ($34.39M)
· Highest per-theater average for a wide debut ($59,982)
· Biggest opening week ($390.85M)
· Biggest IMAX debut ($30.1M)
Globally, the film posted the highest global opening weekend of all time ($528.967M) and surpassed $1B in a record 12 days. It also had the biggest global IMAX debut ($48M) and surpassed $152M in IMAX in a record 19 days. It was the highest international debut in December history with $281M, and it remains #1 in many territories after posting the biggest opening weekend in at least 18 major markets.
Named one of AFI’s top 10 films of 2015, STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS now heads into its fourth weekend of global release ahead of a debut in its final international market, China, on Jan. 9.