Are you new to the Paleo or Primal way of life? When I was a newbie, I found myself missing some of my favorite treats like ice cream. There were just certain times that life called for something creamy, cold, and comforting. I did tons and tons of research on the grain-free lifestyle because I wanted to be successful. I reached out to people I knew were Paleo that had also been successful. I wanted to, against all odds, make this work for my family and me without feeling completely deprived.
There are several amazing ice cream recipes on the web, some of them are even 21 Day Sugar Detox approved, like this “Healthiest Ice Cream EVER” from my favorite Paleo Parents. The first problem is, that I didn’t (and still don’t) have an ice cream maker. The second, (and maybe the largest) problem is, sometimes I need a little instant gratification.
Kind of like last night when the babies were just being monkeys, and The Nerd wouldn’t shut the crap up about some Halo tournament he has been invited to play in. This is Chinese to me, and when my 3- and 1- year old are screaming on top of his incessant talking, I go a little batty.
SO SOMETIMES, I’m just really glad to have a little full-fat Greek yogurt in my refrigerator. This is NOT a daily thing, I want to remind you of that. This IS an indulgence. Don’t have this every day, save it for those days you just can’t resist your cravings. This way you’re sticking to the guidelines of a healthy Primal lifestyle without having to indulge in sugar-laden processed (albeit delicious) ice cream.
See what Mark Sisson has to say on dairy consumption in his Definitive Guide to Dairy.
This is SO stinkin’ easy, y’all. Tonight, you WILL thank me. Then in 6 months when you’ve lost 60lbs, you’ll thank me again.
My Primal FroYo Indulgence
- 6oz Full-Fat Greek Yogurt
- 1 t 100% Pure Grade B Maple Syrup
- a sprinkle of cinnamon
How to do what I do:
- Scoop yogurt into a mug or small bowl (don’t use a large bowl, otherwise you’ll feel like you need more than you really do)
- Add Maple Syrup and stir to combine
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and stir again to combine. I LOVE cinnamon so I use quite a sprinkling. Using spices will trick your tastebuds into thinking that this froyo is sweeter than it really is.
- Place in freezer for 1 hour
- Remove from freezer, find a comfortable spot on your sofa or recliner, close your eyes, and pretend you’re sitting on a verandah in Greece enjoying the most luxurious dessert on the planet.
I hope you enjoy!