Oh heaven help me. Styles will be 10 on August 18. I can’t believe the last 10 years have gone by so quickly. It seems like just yesterday I was imagining what he’d be like at this age. I wondered if he’d annoy me like the kids his age did when I worked an Elementary summer program during high school. I wondered if he’d be smart, if he’d like to read, and if he’d have good grades. I wondered if he’d be popular. I wondered if he’d be athletic, into x-games, or more of an intellectual type. I hoped that he wouldn’t like Pokemon or anything similar. I wondered if he’d be tall and thin or short and chunky.
And I also wondered where I’d be in my life. Hot mom? Married? Other kids? Living where? What kind of job?
So much has happened in the last ten years and I’d love to chronicle it all. I want to tell you where I came from, what I’ve been through, and where I am now. I want to let you know that I’ve been fit, I’ve been thin, I’ve been fat. I’ve been deeply sad and extremely happy. I’ve loved and lost and loved again. And I’ve had 2 more kids who will one day be 10 also.
So through all of my wonderings, I lived my live in the moment and I can honestly say that I don’t look back on the last 10 years with any regret. I’ve made bad decisions, I’ve made good ones, I was available for Styles, and other times I wasn’t. But it all adds up and the sum is me. Where I am now. Where WE are now. And the reality of who Styles is and what he likes is this:
1. He’s average height but super thin & lanky.
2. He likes Beyblades. They’re TOPS, PEOPLE! Freaking $8.00 metal tops. “But they’re cooler than tops because they battle, Mom!” Whatever. They’re still tops. Expensive ones and I hate them.
3. He plays soccer. He’s not the best on his team but he does a good job and he enjoys it. He’s also going back to Cub Scouts this year, after a 1 year hiatus.
4. He is super smart. He reads and comprehends at a high school level. He has been identified as “gifted” and enjoys taking his gifted classes twice a week at school. This is a picture of him measuring the distance traveled by a cold soccer ball for his science project this year. He won 3rd place in the 4th grade! As many extremely smart people, Styles lacks common sense sometimes. If you ask him to go get something and point in the direction of the item, he’ll turn in circles looking at the walls. VERY annoying.
5. He still cannot ride a bike. This is also very annoying.
6. This is Styles’ “I don’t know what the eff you’re talking about” face. It’s annoying. But I love him and sometimes just when I feel my annoyance level reach my eyes, I start laughing because truly, he’s just so funny.
7. He has two (much) younger siblings who adore him. Styles is a phenomenal big brother and I couldn’t ask for better. Really. He loves to play with Madilyn and is always available to entertain her should I need him to. Madilyn thinks that he hung the moon. He is the first person she asks for in the morning and the last person before she goes to bed. I love their relationship.
8. He has had the same best friends since they were born (they’re 4 months, and 22 months younger than him). They battled distance, crazy parents, and differences but they are all still super close and I love that.
9. He’s a total goof. I can always count on him to make me laugh. Even when I don’t want to. 🙂 He is super witty and genuinely hilarious.
10. He’s OH so handsome and the love of my life. I can’t imagine where I’d be without him and I cherish the years that we had when it was just the two of us. He’s so special to me and as much as he and his tops might annoy me, my heart swells when I look at his handsome face.
I can’t believe my baby’s going to be 10.