I’ve been terrified to try frying things because the last few times I tried, I burned the ever loving heck out of the batter while the inside remained uncooked. I had heard that you have to heat the oil up slowly and keep it low in order to fry things evenly, but like, who has the time for that? Especially when your family is ready to sink their teeth into some homemade gluten free fried mozzarella sticks!
Well, this time, I gave myself plenty of time and made sure to heat the oil up low and slow, and you guys? My gluten free battered mozzarella cheese sticks were PERFECT.
I didn’t even use our deep fryer, instead opting to use a pot with about 1/2″ of oil in it.
The worst part of this recipe became the actual battering process rather than the frying process.
The batter bits that fell off in the frying process never burned either! I seriously could not believe it.
But here I am, posting about how easy it was to fry some stuff! I’m kind of proud.
The number one thing you need to remember is to heat your oil up on low and wait until it’s ready. It does take a while, so heat it up before you even begin pulling your ingredients together and it should be nice and warm when you’re ready to fry your mozzarella cheese sticks.
- 1/4 Cup Gluten-Free Flour Mix (our favorite is King Arthur’s Gluten Free Blend)
- 3 Cups Gluten-Free Breadcrumbs (I used 4C Gluten Free Crumbs, Plain)
- 1-1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1-1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1-1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 large eggs
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- 2 packages Mozzarella String Cheese, each stick cut in half.
- Vegetable or Canola oil for frying
- IMPORTANT! Pour about 1/2″ oil into a frying pan and heat on low to 350*. If you don’t have an oil thermometer, that’s OK! Just make sure you heat that oil before you begin anything and it should be just hot enough when you’re ready to start the frying process.
- Roll your cheese stick halves in the gluten free flour. Don’t forget to flour the ends! This helps keep the cheese all inside the batter, so don’t skip this step and make sure they’re well coated. Set those in the refrigerator on a plate.
- In a baking dish or shallow bowl, mix together the gluten free breadcrumbs, salt, parsley, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, dried basil, and black pepper.
- In another baking or pie dish or shallow bowl, whisk together the milk and eggs.
Once you’re all prepared, line your dishes up and get to work! Take your flour-dredged cheese stick halves and roll them around in the egg wash so they’re fully wet then cover in bread crumb mixture. Repeat the egg wash then cover in bread crumb mixture again and set aside.
- Tip: I like to batter up about half the cheese sticks and set them on a plate before frying so that your family has something to munch on while you finish the rest of the cheese sticks.
- Carefully begin frying your gluten free mozzarella cheese sticks in your preheated oil. Do about 8 at a time if your pan allows.
- Tip: You will know that your oil is ready when a little bit of breadcrumb mixture dropped into the oil produces some bubbles around it.
- You should fry each cheese stick for about 1 minute on each side, or until golden brown.
- Tip: Use a fork to flip.
- Remove fried mozzarella cheese sticks from the hot oil and rest them on a paper towel to soak up any extra grease, just long enough to pick each cheese stick out of the oil. Don’t leave them too long, otherwise you’ll lose some of the cheese to the paper towel, and the paper towel doesn’t deserve your cheese.
- Continue until you’ve completed all of your gluten free fried mozzarella sticks. Then prepare to have your family hassle you every day until you make them again, because these are better than any fried mozzarella stick I’ve had in any restaurant, EVER. People won’t even know they’re gluten free!