One of the meals that The Workaholic missed most when we went Paleo were sloppy joes made with Manwich. Gluten-free bread just wasn’t the same as a soft, moist bun and we assumed that because Manwich was a processed food, that it certainly contained gluten.
Imagine our shock and surprise, when two years later, we found out that Manwich is not only gluten-free, but dairy-free, and safe for vegetarians!
Grocery shopping and cooking dinner are two of my least-favorite things in the world. I’m not of the belief that eating healthy or well has to cost a lot of money, but I do believe that people who are on a budget are more limited in the variety department than people who aren’t on a tight budget. Buying all of the spices and tomatoes that are required for making your own sauce gets expensive, and it’s extremely time consuming. I don’t know about you, but I don’t have time for that most days. Not only that, but I don’t have the patience for it either. Working parents like the ones in these Manwich TV Ads know what I’m talking about.
Just toss that all together with the fact that parents need food that will keep our kids’ attention, right? My kids would rather starve than stop playing long enough to eat so I need something with kid-stopping power. With their three different flavors (Original, Bold, and Thick & Chunky), Manwich definitely has that kid-stopping power, and with a little ingenuity in the kitchen, Manwich can go from sloppy-joes to easy chicken enchiladas that are 100% pre-preppable and will have your kids begging for gluten-free seconds. I recommend prepping the chicken mixture and dough the night before you plan to make the enchiladas to save time for a fast, easy dinner.
My recipe for Easy Chicken Enchiladas that are grain-free, gluten-free, & dairy-free can be found below. Check out this link for more Manwich Recipes including some vegetarian options.
Easy Chicken Enchiladas
- 1.5 lbs Chicken Breast
- Chicken Broth
- 1 Can Manwich (your favorite flavor)
- 2 Cups Tapioca Flour
- 1/2 Cup Potato Flour
- 2 Teaspoons Salt
- 2 Teaspoons gelatin
- 3/4 Cup Water
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 Cup Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- Place chicken breasts in a glass baking dish and pour enough chicken broth over the breasts to almost cover, but not quite. Bake for 20 minutes then flip chicken breasts and bake for another 20 minutes.
- Once breasts are done baking, drain water and finely shred chicken with two forks.
- Pour in one can of your favorite Manwich sauce and stir to mix well.
- Preheat oven to 400* and line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Whisk flours and salt together in large bowl & set aside.
- Pour water into medium-sized bowl and sprinkle gelatin over water. Allow to set for one minute.
- Whisk in eggs and oil.
- Using the dough-hook on your mixer, or a wooden spoon, pour wet mixture into dry and mix until a ball of dough forms.
- Break dough into ten equally sized balls, then break each ball in half.
- Press one, small dough ball into a circle-shape then top with 2 Tablespoons chicken mixture. Pat the other small dough ball into a flat circle-shape and place on top of chicken mixture. Fold extra dough in and press well to seal edges.
- Bake the prepared enchiladas for approximately 28 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Serve to your family with your favorite side item and watch them beg for seconds.