1. There Is a Burning Smell Near the Breaker Panel
A burning or smoky smell that seems to come from your breaker panel is a clear warning that there is a problem. The most likely cause is wiring with damaged or insufficient insulation that allows them to overheat. Turn off the power and call in an electrician Salt Lake City immediately.
2. You Notice Scorch Marks or Carbon Around a Breaker
Maybe you chose to ignore a burning smell, or perhaps you never noticed it at all. Either way, if a breaker overheats or sparks, it may leave telltale marks. Any time you see physical damage in your circuit panel, it is a sign of serious trouble. You should call an electrician in Salt Lake City right away to address it. Failure to do so can result in a fire.
3. Breakers Trip Regularly or Won’t Stay Reset
It is normal for a circuit breaker to trip if the wiring is overloaded. After all, that is what they are designed to do. In most cases, you would unplug some items and make a note not to overload the system again. However, if the breaker continues to trip under regular use, or if it refuses to stay in the on position, you should have it inspected and replaced.
4. Your Panel Hasn’t Been Serviced in Several Years
Just like your other major household systems, the electric panel should be inspected and serviced occasionally. If it’s been more than 10 years since you had it checked, schedule an inspection by a qualified electrician. You’ll have peace of mind knowing that everything is in good working order.
It is much more cost-effective to replace a worn breaker than deal with the consequences if one fails. Contact an electrician in Salt Lake City to have your panel inspected before it’s too late.